Native Plant Growers | Conservation Landscaping
Expert-grown natives and Chesapeake Bay-friendly landscaping design + installation
Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) photographed by Andrew Cannizzaro, image licensed under CC BY 2.0
Check out what we’re up to, see what’s in bloom, and learn more about native plants and our growing practices by following us on social media.
Native Plant Sales
Expert-grown natives delivered to your project site
On-site tree removal and lumber milling
Designs inspired by natural communities
Water-conscious stonework and artisanal woodworking
Native Plant Sales
Our native plant nursery is carefully maintained by experts using sustainable practices. We focus on growing local ecotypes within 100 miles of our nursery in Anne Arundel County, Maryland using minimal fertilizer and no pesticides, herbicides or growth hormones.
Our plants are available for sale to landscape professionals with a $300 minimum order, with delivery included. Our goal is to provide stewards of the Chesapeake Bay with native plants, whose lack of availability has historically been a challenge in conservation efforts. See our inventory by clicking below.
Have a tree that needs to be converted into usable boards? Our portable saw mill can help! We cut dying or diseased trees that need to be felled into dimensional lumber as well as unique slabs and live-edge boards that are not widely available.
Portable sawmilling is an affordable way to get expensive cuts of wood with a much smaller carbon footprint than their counterparts at the lumber yard: the lumber we produce is air dried, and requires no transport (or packaging) from a mill to a store to your home. As a bonus, we remove remaining branches and cast aways to be repurposed into soil at our native plant nursery. Finally, many of our clients appreciate being able to hold onto a memento from a beloved tree.
Native Garden Design
We have designed and installed hundreds of native gardens in the District over the last 11 years, and are happy to help you through the process from an initial consultation to garden installation:
- First, our landscape designer will visit your home for a consultation. During the meeting, you and the designer will discuss how you use the space and what you envision for planting. The designer will determine the lighting and soil conditions on-site, and finally take measurements and photos.
- The designer will compile all of the information they gathered into a custom landscape design, and send this to you along with a plant list and estimate for the job.
- You and the designer will work together to finalize your drawing with any edits.
- Once you approve the drawing and estimate, we ask for 50% payment before putting you on our installation queue.
- Finally, we will reach out to you once your project is scheduled!
Our stone- and woodworking experts can guide you through planning and installing patios, walkways, walls and more. We specialize in environmentally conscious hardscaping that is built to last.
Bona Terra, LLC
We are a small family-run landscaping business and native plant nursery located in Washington, DC. Our urban landscape design, growing practice, and installation business specializes in artistic installations, bay-friendly native gardens and sustainable practices.